Internet marketing is a very wide term which can be used to encompass a variety of marketing techniques which are used online. Banner advertisements, website promotion, search engine optimization, email marketing and affiliate marketing all fall under the umbrella of the term Internet marketing but there is even more to Internet marketing than those concepts. However, here is an idea for you that might really push you out of the box and be more creative.
Advertising or Retargeting Using Facebook
Many people believe that advertising on Facebook is going to be either very expensive or an enormous amount of time and headaches. But in my opinion, this is a false assumption. In my experience, advertising on Facebook is much less expensive that advertising on Google, or even buying a full page ad in a local or nation magazine or newspaper. This is the major reason why: On Facebook you are able to go very deep on the EXACT audience you are targeting. For example: Let’s say you sell multi-vitamins to the retired crowd. In Facebook, you can set up your ad to target the following before you even send the ad out. You can choose these attributes: Retired, older than 55, male or female, making a certain amount of income, in any state or part of the world you are focusing on, single or married, interested in the kind of sport or activity your audience is active in (golf, swimming, hiking…). This will narrow down your target market very specifically. With a newspaper or magazine, it is like buckshot…it sprays everywhere, hoping you get a hit or three.
Setting up your retargeting ad is pretty easy. It has a bit of a learning curve to it, especially if you’ve never done it before. But after a couple of times, it really only takes 10-15 minutes to set up an ad and get rolling.
Here is a brief outline of how to set up your retargeting ad on Facebook!
- Sign up for a Facebook account, and set up your page. By now, hopefully you will have a FB page set up for your company where you can have people go to. If not, then you need to do this before you can set up an ad.
- There is a blue bar at the top and you can see a small arrow. Click on it and then click on “Create an Ad”. This takes yo to the page where it asks you your “marketing objective”. There are 13 different choices to make here. Look them over and choose one. For this example’s sake, I’m going to use the first one “Boost your Posts”. This is usually a very cheap way to advertise… one that I use all the time.
- If you choose “Boost Your Posts” then you need to write an article or a short paragraph going over a special or a sale that you are currently having. It doesn’t need to be long 400-600 words will suffice. When you click on the Boost Your Posts tabe, it takes you to the next page where you set up your ad. Choose your location… anywhere in the world. You can choose just one country or many. That is up to you. Then you will see the choices Age, Gender, Languages. Choose accordingly.
- “Detailed Targeting” – Now this is the gold here. Because now you can really narrow down who you want to retarget. Interest’s, demographics or behaviors.
So I am going to pause here to show what I have done in my “pretend ad” for this case here. So I have chosen the following
Country = US, Canada, UK and Australia.
Age = 55 – 65+
Gender = Men
People who match = Iphone, IOS, smartphones, Home Business, Home Office,
Behaviors = Online Buyers
Interests Also Match = Golf, Yoga, Swimming, Physical Fitness, Health Club, Aerobic Fitness, Fitness
And wellness, Nutrition
Connections = Friends of people who liked your page.
As you can see, I have a very narrow and very targeted audience. So for my Example of selling multi-vitamins to the retired crowd. And so far, Facebook is telling me that I have a Potential Reach of 3,800,000. This is really very good for a targeted audience.
*** An important note here. More is not better!!! Ideally you only want an audience between 600,000 and 4,000,000 people. More than that, it can get out of hand very quickly.
So back to the ad.
- I usually allow FB to “Automatically Place” my ads. They are the ones who are writing the algorithms… let them place it where they see fit.
- Budget – This is great because you can choose the amount of money you are comfortable with. I usually start with only $5.00 per day to start. That way I can have a small upfront risk if my ad doesn’t work well and I need to edit the ad some.
- Schedule – IMHO, I think you should always “set a start and end date”. Because if you run it continuously, you run the danger of forgetting about it for awhile and then getting smacked with a huge bill because you are still paying that daily ad cost. But if you choose a Set Start and End date… you are in complete control of how much you spend.
- Optimization for Ad delivery – When you are Boosting your Post, you will get charged for Post Engagement. This means that you will get charged for when you get a like or a share or a comment on this post.
I want to add here that in your post, you should have a link that goes to your site or the place where you are selling your products. That way, you don’t have to pay for clicks to your site, you are only paying for engagement on your post. This is a cheaper way to get people to go to your site. If they like your post enough to comment on it or give it a “Like”, then they will most likely click to see your site.
- Bid Amount – Let FB set the bid. Don’t worry. They aren’t going to gouge you. They want to you to return and make many more ads, and they aren’t going to cut their nose off to spite their face.
- When You get Charged – Choose “Post Engagement”
- Ad Scheduling – Choose “Run ads all the time.
- Delivery Type – Choose the recommended approach of “Show ads throughout the day”
Then hit continue to finish up.
- Page & Post – You can connect the ad to your Facebook Page as well as your Instagram Account. Then you will need to choose which post you want to Boost.
- Make sure that you can see the post in the screen, and make sure that you are using the following:
- Facebook Feeds 9 Desktop)
- Facebook feeds (Mobile)
- Facebook Right Column
This way, you have all available platforms ready to show your ad. You will be able to review your ad and make any needed corrections. After you do this, you are ready to go. Hit place your order. It will normally take several hours to get your ad approved, just to make sure its not porn or violent or racist in any way. But if you are selling multi-vitamins, then you shouldn’t have anything to worry about.
And that is about it. You will begin to see results almost immediately. You can go to “Ads Manager” (Which is the next table under “Create an Ad” ) and review your progress any time you want. I find it actually kind of fun to see results come in. And it is even more fun when people go to your site and start to buy things from you.
Now remember, this is NOT the Be All, End All of how to do this. This is a very basic outline of how to set up a retargeted ad on Facebook. As with everything, you will need to tweak it and adjust it as you gain more experience and knowledge about it. But, you have a great start and its only up from here.
Good luck to you.
About The Guest Author:
John has been a successful salesman since 1990. He has written an ebook about how to record a message on your messaging system that will greatly improve your success rate of potential customers leaving their name and phone numbers. Check it out CLICK HERE.